Reports say that mental health conditions usually develop and increases between the age of 14 to 24. This condition is usually not the child's fault nor the family's fault. It develops because of many complicated reasons on which researches are still continuing.
Below report talks about the teenage and young adult mental health in details;
Mental health – positive signs:
- Children with good mental health are usually happy, and positive in nature.
- They enjoy healthy relations with family and friends.
- They do physical activities and have a good diet.
- Have sufficient sleep and relax themselves.
- Have a sense of achievement.
- They are more social and belong to the society.
Mental health – negative signs:
- Less time spent with family and friends.
- Decrease in school performance and academics.
- Absenteeism and unwillingness to attend schools.
- Constant stomach aches, headaches, backaches etc.
- Less concentration, weak memory etc.
- Negligence of personal appearance and hygiene.
- Illegal thrill seeking behavior. This is very dangerous.
- Anger, disobedience and loud lashings.
- Anxiety, feeling lonely, and often sad.
The above are few signs of mental health issues. However, it should be understood that no one sign means that the child is mentally sick. The intensity, severity, duration and nature of the behavior should be understood in order to conclude about the mental health of the child.
How to promote good teenage mental health?
A child's mental health can be developed with love, care, strong support and positive attitude from the near and dear ones. Few of the ideas are mentioned below;
- Showing love, care and affection to the child.
- Praising good points and achievements. Getting involved and showing interest in their day to day activities.
- Enjoying some time together. One on ones with the child with fun conversations.
- Winning child's confidence and making them understand that they don’t have to go through things alone, rather they have intact support from the family to sort out their problems.
- Making them, feel free to discuss about even the worst part of their life with the family members.
- Helping them to trust themselves, building up confidence and self reliance.
- Keeping the child physically active is very important.
- Extra curriculum and hobbies like dance, singing, painting, etc. as per the child's preference should be encouraged.
Thus, from the above we understand that mental health is a very serious and crucial aspect. Mental health problems can be controlled with family support, guidance and care.