The health risks of vaping are uncertain. Researchers have found that inhaling different flavors of e-cigarettes can cause great harm to human lungs and end up to popcorn lung. The stats, symptoms and causes of prolonged vaping are explained as below;
Stats on vaping among teenagers:
- As per a survey conducted in 2015, the usage of e-cigars among the 8th grade children was around 9.5%.
- Around 30.7% percent of children who used e-cigars diverted to conventional smoking within 6 months.
- Thus, e-cigars rather than becoming an anti smoking agent, is now used as a kick start to smoking habits among teenagers.
- After trying e-cigars these children divert towards conventional cigarettes, cigars or hookahs.
- It’s studied that around 13.7% of teens are not aware of what is exactly present in their e-liquids. This is because the manufacturers don’t have to report about the ingredients used in their flavorings.
Symptoms of popcorn lung:
- Wheezing that is related to bronchitis or asthma is a common symptom seen.
- The constant dry cough is noticed.
- Difficulty in deep breathing, especially during physical activities is experienced.
- Exhaustion and tiredness.
- Rapid breathing is experienced.
- Constant skin, eye, mouth, or nose irritation is found.
Vaping - a cause of popcorn lung:
- According to American Lung Association, e-cigs or vaping, especially the candy and fruit flavored one’s can cause popcorn lung.
- The flavoring agents present in some e-liquid can cause conditions like bronchiolitis obliterans; this is commonly known as popcorn lung.
- The chemicals diacetyl and acetyl propionyl are responsible for popcorn lung.
- The researchers of Harvard found that out of 51 e-cigarette brands, 39 of them contained diacetyl.
- It was also found that pentanedione and acetoin were also present in 23 and 46 brands out of 51 flavors tested.
- Studies found that the workers in the flavoring factories who were exposed to these chemicals for a long time were reported with popcorn lung.
Hence, from the above, we understand that e-cigs, though considered a safe substitute for smoking, still have some disadvantages. Vaping should be done within limits and a detailed knowledge about the ingredients in the flavors should be known.